Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Clean Eating



A friend of mine at church told me yesterday that she was amazed at how healthy I look and wanted to get my entire eating plan. I haven't been running in forever and I have to nap way more now that I have MS, but whatever. Most days I feel pretty good. I haven't weighed myself since early January...so, I'm kind of curious how much weight I've lost. 

Here's what I'm not eating:

  • sugar
  • dairy
  • grain (wheat, rice, corn, oatmeal)
  • gum (or anything) with aspartame 

So, my diet is somewhere between the Whole30 (if you're not familiar with that, read this: http://whole30.com/step-one/) and paleo (if you're not familiar with that, read this.

I think how I eat is closer to paleo because I do have the occasional bit of sweet, like honey and maple syrup. On the Whole30, you don't have any of that for 30 days. 

So, here are my go-to meals:

Breakfast: eggs and avocado or this great frittata done in a muffin tin recipe or this awesome muffin recipe or these awesome waffles. I throw in some almond butter if I'm feeling super hungry. 

Muffin recipe: I seriously make these nearly EVERY week. They taste phenomenal out of the oven with almond butter on them. 

Frittata recipe: These can be refrigerated for a week of meals—economy is the scale here, people. 

Waffle recipe: This is a Saturday morning treat for me, usually. I go to this website a lot for paleo recipes. She is a bit wacky...but, the recipes are wonderful.

Snacks: nuts, beet/ginger/greens/orange/apple/carrot juice/banana smoothies, more nuts, carrots, fruit, avocado

Lunch: leftovers from the day before, large green salad (mostly with this easy dressing), avocado and other random veggies.

Dinner: something paleo (I plan two weeks at a time...and I'm still fine tuning what I like and what my family will tolerate or like). 

Here are a few websites I found great recipes and the websites have useful info:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/ (I believe this woman has MS)
http://nomnompaleo.com/ (AWESOME recipes here)

Also, I never cook or reheat my food in plastic containers. Storing them in plastic is fine.

I try to get organic meats, but my budget often doesn't allow for that all the time. Maybe once I am an empty nester or something I'll switch to all organic meat...or maybe I'll move to a farm in the country and raise my own. Wouldn't that be awesome? My city boy husband would be a great farmer.  

Exercise, you ask? I do lots of yoga (like 4x/week), walk and swim. Seriously...I'm not the same person I used to be with exercise. For me and exercise, less is more and my body is feeling stronger than ever...it's weird. 

Has clean eating helped you? Are you a fan of clean eating? 

8 comments:

  1. I clean what I eat, does that count? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list! I definitely need to get my eating back on track now that the babies are here and my meals and snacks aren't as structured as when I was pregnant. I would say I'm a pretty clean eater, though I always want to be better. It's tough to do while being a mom of little ones — especially infant twins. To toot my own horn, I think it's pretty darn impressive that I cook about 90% of what we eat from scratch and I buy more produce than anything else, and very little pre-made food. The other thing I'm working on is eliminating as many chemicals from our lives as I can, starting with cleaning products and body care. Is that something you've had to look into with your MS? Any insight you can share there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, it sounds like you're doing all the right things...and having twin babies has got to be a huge hurdle to jump over (repeatedly, right!?). Another MS patient told me that doTerra essential oils have made a huge difference for her. I looked into them and have started using them for better health, illness prevention and cleaning. They are 100% pure, therapeutic grade and have not only eliminated a lot of the chemicals in my life, but also make everything smell fantastic.I have a great book on how to clean with essential oils that I've used for many years. I'm happy to share tips and recipes I like best, if you're interested.

      Delete
  3. "egg muffins" (the frittata thing) were seriously my go to FOREVER because I could make them and keep them in the fridge for a week and eat them in the car.

    I think I'm gonna send this on to my sister. She has fibromyalgia and the doctor TOLD her eating this way would help her feel better. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph! Please share with your sister. She may resist making the changes, but if her priority is to feel better a 30-day experiment might be a suggestion to get started. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. You continue to inspire me. I'm slowly getting back on track for healthy eating. My metabolism has definitely suffered as I get older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed my metabolism speeding up by eating this way...so, there's hope for us!

      Delete

Pin It