Tuesday, February 1, 2011

8 Things Losing Taught Me

I'm a loser. I played right wing for a perpetually losing girls' field hockey team in junior high and high school. We were the Eagles, but we might as well have been the Beagles because we dogged it every game. We never won. We tied a few times. My entire field hockey career was filled with one failure after the next.

I don't remember the final scores for those games (except that we had fewer points, if any, than the other team). Losing felt bad then, but it taught me a lot about myself, life, and work.
  1. If you're prepared, you still might bomb. 
  2. Embarrassment isn't forever. 
  3. Laughter goes a long way to make you feel better.
  4. Yelling at your teammates won't improve their skills or your relationship.
  5. If you miss a shot, there's always another try and another and another.
  6. Working hard and sweating a lot makes you feel great about yourself even if you don't win.
  7. Playing outside does wonders for your mood.
  8. True friends still like you even after you lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It